A Scary Good Recipe Featuring Bil-Jac Dessert Jacs Dog Treats
With Halloween approaching and the leaves turning colors, Bil-Jac Pumpkin Flavor Dessert Jacs Dog Treats are the perfect way to celebrate a change of season with your furry friends! Whether you choose to reward your pooch with a tasty dog treat right from the bag or use Dessert Jacs to make yummy cookie treats, your dog will be sure to find the taste scary good. For some howlin’ fun with your best bud this year, follow the recipe below to make your dog’s new favorite reward.
Recipe for Bil-Jac Howlin' Good Pumpkin Dessert Jacs Cookies
Recipe yields about 10-15 cookies,
Total Prep Time: 15 minutes to prepare, 1 hour or up to overnight in the refrigerator (to cool mixture prior to baking), 20 minutes to bake.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (plain)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 2/3 cup + 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- Bil-Jac Dessert Jacs Dog Treats for decorating after baking.
Mix together all wet ingredients (pumpkin, honey, egg, applesauce) and mix well using a mixer.
Add flour and stir until all ingredients are fully combined. Refrigerate dough for at least one hour before making. The dough can be refrigerated overnight if you plan to make the cookies the next day.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cover a cookie tray with parchment paper for the best results. Drop cookie dough by the spoonful onto the cookie tray. Smooth out cookies to the desired shape with a butter knife or back of the spoon (cookies will not “spread” when baking). Feel free to be creative!
Customize Your Treats:
- Make a Pumpkin or Jac-O-Lantern: Before baking, use a small butter knife to make lines in a pumpkin-shaped cookie.
- Make a Cat: Before baking, use a small butter knife to shape your cookies and make the whiskers and lips.
- Make a Bat: Before baking, use a small butter knife to shape the dough.
Bake for 18-22 minutes. Cookies will still be soft when removed from the oven.
Immediately after baking, use a few Dessert Jacs to decorate your cookies.
- To make pumpkin or jack-o-lanterns, create faces on the cookie using Dessert Jacs. Add another Dessert Jac on top for a stem. Add more treats to make a face.
- For a cat, use Dessert Jacs for the eyes and nose.
- To finish a bat, use Dessert Jacs for eyes and ears.
Move cookies to rack and let cool. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Can be frozen for up to three months – just thaw and serve anytime!
Feed one cookie a day. Since the cookie has a chewy texture, break it up and feed it to your dog in smaller pieces, which can also allow for more treats per day.
There are an estimated 50-70 calories per cookie, depending on size and the number of Dessert Jac treats used per cookie.
A Special Treat for Your Dog Every Season
Whether you and your pup are celebrating the fall season with Dessert Jacs or you’re showing your dog love with the many other delicious Bil-Jac Dog Treats, Bil-Jac is always here to bring a taste your dogs will love. For more ways to treat your dog, fun facts, and exclusive discounts on Bil-Jac products, sign up for our Best Friends Club today.
*Recipe adapted from Honey’s Soft Pumpkin Dog Treats.