10 Things to Know about Amino Acids
and Your Dog
We've all heard it's important to eat a balanced diet to stay healthy, right? Have you ever thought about your best friend's diet and what HE needs to eat right? At Bil-Jac, we are always thinking about how good nutrition can help your dog stay healthy and happy so he can be your lovable pup day in and day out.
So now you're wondering, what is good nutrition? Dogs need a combination of protein, carbohydrates, fat, vitamins and minerals. One of the most important nutrients your pooch needs is protein. At Bil-Jac, 25 pounds of real chicken are used to make a 30 pound bag of our Adult Select Super Premium Dry Dog Food, a fact we are very proud to share! The real chicken supplies your dog with protein that breaks down into amino acids when your dog digests the food. It's these amino acids that help your best friend THRIVE!
So why are amino acids a key part of nourishing your dog? These 10 amino acid facts will have you feeling good about filling your pup with the right nutrition!
- 1) There are 20 different kinds of amino acids, 10 of them are called "nonessential" and can be made within your dog's body, as needed.
- 2) The other 10 are called "essential" because they cannot be made by your dog, they need to be in the diet your dog eats every day and they need to be processed right for digestibility.
- 3) Your dog's body can't store amino acids in the same way it can store carbohydrates and fats. So eating right each day is important.
- 4) Your dog eats food and his body breaks down the protein in the food into the different amino acids. Then, his body reassembles these amino acids so that they can be used to help his body perform a variety of tasks, including the ones mentioned below.
- 5) Amino Acids play a big part in building and repairing body tissues.
- 6) They're involved in transporting nutrients through the body.
- 7) They help to keep your best friend's skin and coat HEALTHY.
- 8) Amino Acids help to carry oxygen throughout the body.
- 9) Your dog's muscle activity is supported by amino acids.
- 10) Lastly, they play an important role in a properly functioning immune system.
At Bil-Jac, we have created our recipes to deliver a balance of the amino acids your dog needs to support good health and vitality. The key reason that Bil-Jac uses an abundance of real chicken as the main ingredient is because it helps provide a well-balanced amount of essential amino acids for your dog. Our recipes are slow-cooked in small batches, unlike most dry dog foods, which helps to preserve key nutrients, including amino acids so your dog can utilize them. Well balanced, highly available amino acids are at the heart of the Bil-Jac Difference!